Canadian Open Data Awards: Nomination Deadline May 24
Canadian Open Data Awards 2017
Call for Nominations
Deadline: Wednesday May 24, 2017
For the fourth consecutive year, the open data community from coast to coast will gather at the
annual Canadian Open Data Summit. Once again excellence in the field of open data will be recognized
at the Summit’s Award Ceremony on June 13th, 2017 in Edmonton, Alberta.
CODS17 Edmonton is happy to launch the call for nomination for this year’s Awards, which for
1. Open Data Accessibility Award;
2. Open Data for Democracy Award;
3. Open Data for Value Award;
4. Open Data Advocacy Award;
5. Open Data Innovation Award;
6. Overall Excellence Award.
In addition there is an award for individuals:
7. Open Data Leader of the Year.
And this year we introduce a new award to honour those who are up and coming. (open to
organizations and individuals):
8. Open Data Rising Star (NEW!!!)
Instructions for Submission of Nominations
Nominations are accepted from organizations and individuals from any sector.
Members of the jury
will be posted on CODS17 website. They are ineligible to submit nominations. Submissions should be
in Word format; should not exceed 500 words in total with appendix attached; and should address all
or any of the following criteria:
1. Improving accessibility to policies and/or processes through Open Data
2. Enhancing democracy and governance through Open Data
3. Delivering values through Open Data
4. Improving understanding, promoting advocacy and building capacity through Open Data
5. Creativity and Innovation ) through Open Data
6. (Rising Star only) Demonstration of great potential in Open Data field
For all submissions, there is no date limit on the achievements submitted; they can cover 2016/2017
or an extended period of contributions up to 2017.
Links are encouraged and appendices are permissible. However we ask that all supporting
information be kept to the barest essentials and that they are pertinent to the nomination. If you
feel you have a particular strength in one or two categories more than in others, by all means
Next Steps After Submission of Nominations
Category winners will be advised in advance. It is expected that award winners or their representative
be present at CODS17 to receive their awards and willing to be photographed. Travel expenses to
Edmonton are not covered, however we offer one free registration to the Summit per award
(maximum two free registrations per winning organization). A few short remarks from winners are
All Awards will be presented at the Award Ceremony on June 13, 2017.
Nominations should be submitted in a Word format to: [hidden email]. If you have
additional questions or concerns, please contact Yvonne Chen at 780-496-7828 or